Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Someone posted defamatory article about me and my business.

Customer Question
Someone posted defamatory article...

Someone posted defamatory article about me and my business. While the posting was made anonymously, I was able to identify the writer by contacting the website owner and asking as to the registration details of the writer. The defence claims it's a wrong person I am bringing the lawsuit against. Is the registration details of the website admissible as evidence in court?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Defamajtion/injurious falsehood claim I am making

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am going to file The website owner sent me a screenshot of the registration details of the poster

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

And while the name was fake being 'sora' the accused's email address is also***@******.***

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/18/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

can you please provide an example of what was said and on what social media was used ?

It was not a social media. It was a community website. The article posted was long with defamatory and false materials. I run a school business. I was referred to as a fool, stupid bestard and A Garbage making money off of poor students. He made up a lot of stories about our school and stated how worthless it is to attend my school

ok. there is grounds on this basis.

would you like to have a discussion by telephone as to how to handle this situation ?

The website administrator gave me the registration details of the accused. On the record, the name was 'sora', which is not his name but he uses the email address of***@******.***. On the balance of probabilities, it seems clear to me that it was him. A posting happened to be made right after he got out of school, and and happened to be posted by someone whose name happens to be the email address of the accused.

you will be able to raise a claim.

I have sent you a special offer on the telephone if you prefer ?

Yep send me again will you?

ok

please advise your number

I will call you in 10 minutes .

Thanks

Thanks

I only realised after I hung up.
I have a recording. My receptionist talked with the accused over the phone and there is a part where he sort of admits what he did. Can this be used as evidence? The accused was not aware he was being recorded

as long you have on the recording, that you informed the person that you were recording them.

this is very important that point.

John Melis, Lawyer