Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My mother's husband has just passed away. She has a very…

Customer Question
Hi my mother's husband...

Hi my mother's husband has just passed away. She has a very straight forward will for which she is the executrice. The only hiccup is that his shares were not transferred into her or a joint name. Does this mean that the will has to go to probate? Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Statements from the share companies and we are getting a precis of the shares from his stockbroker

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of...we are not talking a great deal of money here.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/18/2017
Solicitor: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

I'm sorry, I just noticed this was for Queensland. I will ask them to send this to the proper section. This is in the US law section at present.

Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Yes Probate will need to be granted

does this answer your important question ?

thank you. I guess a solicitor or the probate office can do this on her behalf.
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago

yes a lawyer can and this should be attended to promptly.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.

Thank you. We are still awaiting the death certificate. He was cremated 30 Nov.

ok.

if you need help with anything just let me know