Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Im in a really complicated situation and time is of the

Customer Question
essence given i am 8and...
Im in a really complicated situation and time is of the essence given i am 8and a 1\2 months pregnant. Im terrified that when i go to hospital to give birth i will be arrested . I have a possession charge but to complicate the matter further i was on parole at the time of the offence so even tho my parole end date has passed im still in breach of my parole . I only had aprox 3 months left when i was charged i also have a stat dec from the person the drugs belonged to taking responsibility for them . My parole officer was aware of the charge and asked me to come in but because i had nobody to care for my son or even pick him up from school i didnt attend that appointment as i feared being locked up so my parole is in breach. Since then i fell pregnant and now im in a position where child safety are involved and because ive been evasive about my address are waiting till i have the baby to come and see me at the hospital and will share my whereabouts with police. There is no reason for child safety to have any concerns i am adequately prepared and more than capable of caring for my baby but this warrant is the problem. I need help . I dont know if it is possible to have someone advocate on my behalf to the parole board to have that return to prison warrant suspended and then deal with the possession charge. I dont know if the parole board can do that given my circumstances id be willing to comply with any non custodial conditions even an ankle bracelet anything that will stop me from getting separated from my baby
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/18/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

Why would you be arrested in the hospital? Is there a warrant out for your arrest?

i have a return to prison warrant because ive breached my parole and i have a failure to appear warrant for the possession charge
Family services will call the police and tell them of my whereabouts once ive had the baby they have told me that a already

Because you have failed to comply with past orders it is not going to be possible to convince them that you will this time.

Have you used a solicitor in the past?

If you wish to work it out I suggest you have the solicitor contact the parole officer and talk to them about the options they can use.

This is you best option because once you go into hospital it is too late.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Do the parole board have ttt he power to suspend that rtp warrant ? Is that even a thing? Id even be willing to wear an ankle bracelet or home detention...are they even options in this circumstance? Do u know any solicitor who is particularly good with dealing with the pa role board in qld? What about if i go over the border to nsw to give birth? Will they still arrest me then? If i just said i was visiting family for the holidays or something ? Could that work? Im desperate for ideas and running out of time

Good Morning

No the warrant is issued by the court. The parole officer can speak on your behalf to seek the court not send you back to court but they cannot set is aside that is a court order.

I cannot tell you what the options are they will be discussed with you by your solicitor and the parole officer.

You have to contact the law society in QLD and get a referral to a solicitor that is an accredited specialist in Criminal law.

They will be able to assist.

Their website is as follows

http://www.qls.com.au/Home

If there is a warrant out then you will be arrested and held in custody until the court makes its decision.

They will not stop you at the boarder. There are no police at the boarder we have free movement.

So if you are in NSW the QLD police cannot touch you.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor