Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My sister is coming out from Denmark to visit me. She quite…

Customer Question
My sister is coming...

My sister is coming out from Denmark to visit me. She quite a sick person, but tells me she is covered by her insurance for any illness she has. A friend of my told me yesterday that under the new law, I could be liable for any hospital bills, if she should happen to end up in hospital. Is this correct. Kind regards Kirsten

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria, however she will do a trip to Cairns and Sydney while she is here

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean. She has spoken to her Insurance Company and they tell her she is covered

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is basically it. I'm just a bit concerned

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/18/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

The laws have not changed

If she does need hospitalisation she is liable for the hospital costs not you.

She has to have full insurance to cover her as does any tourist.

You as he family cannot be held liable unless you agree at the time of admission that you will pay.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards