Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I have just received my current electricity bill, if is not…

Customer Question
I have just received...

I have just received my current electricity bill, if is not paid by the due date they will add $89.17 to the bill, is this legal.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am on a pension so this is a lot of money

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

It is not legal unless the contract you entered into when you signed up for with the provider says they can charge you a penalty fee.

If you are on a contract that gives you a discount and the discount is $89.17 then what they are doing is legal.

Is that the case where there is a discount?

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor