Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I rented a room at a friends house and about 6 months ago I…

Customer Question
I rented a room...

I rented a room at a friends house and about 6 months ago I returned home. My belongings are still at that house and I am being refused entry to get them. The house owner has also sold my car and my boat is no longer there. how can I gain entry and retrieve my belongings?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the boat?

ACT and 20 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have tried to report to police but they are not interested as it is not their concern

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is the basis of it. All my personal belonging are in the house and a lot of things have gone missing.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Solicitor: legalgems, Attorney replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear that you have missing items.

Did the friend/landlord send a written notice re: abandonment of property?
What state is this in?

ACT and not that I am aware of
I have been visiting and calling but there has been no contact.
0411 270 196
Can we still expect a call

I'm sorry this is in the US category; what country are you in?

Australia

Thanks; let me report this to the site so this can be recategorized.

Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

you can raise to claims to seek damages

1. trespass to goods

2. conversion of goods

the second claim you can recover the cost of the lost goods.

i have extended a special offer to talk with you on the telephone if you prefer ?

Do I need to go to a solicitors to start this process?

yes it would be a positive way to move forward

would you like to talk on the phone.