Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

What is the average cost of a one off family law

Customer Question
What is the average...

What is the average cost of a one off family law consultation

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I met with a lawyer yesterday just to ask questions. I filled in a form prior to meeting, yet was asked the same questions again. I spent one hour and was charged $500 is this reasonable?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No nothing it was just a Q&A

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just feel i was over charged for a general fact finding meeting.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/15/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

thank you. I know any legal consultation is expensive. But $500 for a 60 min meeting when 30 mins was filling in form that i had already emailed.

what seems to be your issue and I will help you.

please advise more detail ?

I needed advice to ask what my legal position would be if I were to separate from my husband. I filled in a form prior to the meeting as requested. When i got to the meeting the lawyer filled in the form again and did not have my original form. gave me the advice and then charged me $500. nothing was filed it was just q fact finding meeting on my part. Is $ 500 realistic?
Is $450 the average hourly rate/

ok, would you like to talk on telephone ?

no thanks i am in an office full of people.
can you just tell me if that is a normal rate for a one off meeting

ok please allow me a few minutes to reply

are you there?

Every lawyer charges different amounts for consultation in relation to all matters.

$500 per hour is expensive especially if you are not dealing at partner level.

I do handle family law matters and would please to discuss yours by telephone.

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone which is way more cost effective than the price you have explained.

You can accept the offer and call me when you are free if you prefer.

thank you anyway.

did I answer your important question today ?

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor