Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I signed a contract this Tuesday for thermal window glazing…

Customer Question
I signed a contract...

I signed a contract this Tuesday for thermal window glazing and paid a $4000 deposit.. I am now thinking I should have got some more quotes. How much time do I have to withdraw from the contract without penalty.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what you mean. I signed the contract and then asked for an addition to the original contract. They have sent me an updated offer which I haven't accepted yet.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/14/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

It is not possible to just terminate a contract unless the other party agrees, or there is a cooling off period under the contract and you terminate during that period.

If it was a door to door sales then you have a cooling off period under the law but if you contacted them to come and give you a quote there is no cooling off period.

Here is some information for you on unsolicited door to door sales.

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/products-and-services/business-practices/door-to-door-sales-and-telemarketing/door-to-door-sales#cooling-off-or-termination

But if you invited them to come and see you there is no cooling off and you have to look at the agreement and see what it says about you being able to terminate and also contact the seller and see if they will agree to cancelling it by agreement and you get ting your money back.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards