Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is it ok (for all involved) to host a farewell for a an

Customer Question
Is it ok (for...

Is it ok (for all involved) to host a farewell for a an employee who has been made redundant? She had worked for around 30 years at the same company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And has this been documented in any way?

NSW. The redundancy had been documented, however no proper farewell had been arranged in a not for profit company. She was marched out within the hour. No performance issues or illegality was involved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/14/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Yes this is ok.

There is no restriction on this type of get together.

Where the employer disputes such act, and as long as it occurs off premises, the employer can make not claim.

Then if the employer acts unfairly to the employees, this may result in a claim of bullying.

Have I answered your important question to day ?

Hi John, I was told by the not for profit company that they could not arrange a staff get together to farewell the 30+ year employee. This was due to employment law in their view. Thank you for your help in this matter.

who is paying for the event ?

employer.

in this particular case then, if the employer does not have the required funds available (even if they do) for the dinner, the employer is under no legal obligation to pay for the dinner.

there may be other options, but I would need to talk with you by phone.

I enclose a special offer to assist you.