Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I need help with Jetstar. They damaged my bag on the 1st Dec…

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with Jetstar. They damaged my bag on the 1st Dec on a domestic flight. I have sent all photos,receipts, quote (from samsonite). I have been ringing all the time and getting the same response, we will email you. To this day they have not emailed me. I rang them at 9.30am this morning to be told they will have an answer within 2hrs. I have just rang now with no answer. They are still saying that they will pass on my complaint. Can you help me thanks Dianne

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes at the airport, when i seen the damage

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No i just need the money for a new bag as samsonite said it is un-repairable. The bag costs $899

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/14/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

With the amount of money you can commence proceedings in VCAT to recover the cost.

Good Afternoon

Hers is the link to the process to sue them.
https://www.artslaw.com.au/info-sheets/info-sheet/debt-recovery-small-claims-procedure-vic/

You have to get evidence of the cost if the bag and send it to them with a letter or demand.

They have been negligent and they have to compensate you.

If they do not respond in 14 days, which is the usual time to respond then you file an application in VCAT or the Magistrates Court. The filing fee and the service fees will be added to the claim.

You can do this on your own as using a Solicitor will cost you more than the bag and you will not get your costs.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards