Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I had a 19 yo male only who moved into a room I rent. I took…

Customer Question
I had a 19...

I had a 19 yo male only who moved into a room I rent. I took a deposit of $553. He sneaking his girlfriend into his room when I wasn't around or at night. Other roommate saw him several times. I

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Melbourne, Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Have pictures to prove he was doing drugs,drinking, and thrashed my room. I wanted him out as I don't condone this behaviour. Trie contacting him by phone. He wouldn't answer. Sent email to his father 30 November. He said he talked to his son and would see me and talk to me on 3 December! I wasn't happy to condone his son and girlfriend having sex, doing drugs, drinking and said I wanted him out immediately as I wouldn't condone this behaviour. Nothing reported to police.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

On 3 December got hold of the boy, showed him the room, marks on the walls etc and as I had a deposit of $553, told him he wouldn't get it back. he said he didn't care. He knew he had done the wrong thing'. From past experience I knew and had had a verbal quote from a cleaner that it would cost $250 to clean (conservative quote) and the smell was horrendous and couldn't be got rid of, as they'd been doing doing drugs etc in the room, plus he had a hacking cough and I told him I'd charge him 10 days rent, as I wouldn't even be able to show the room in the state it was in. On 6 December, his father called me and demanded receipts for cleaning etc. TI had a chest infection from the smell that had permeated the entire house and was in bed, so told him I'd contact him when I was well. On 12 December I wrote to him and said he wasn't getting his desposit back, as I had offered him pictures and told him I wanted his son out; but he was playing games and resusing to come and by this time I had already had the room cleaned and the locks changed as I didn't trust his son. I told him how much extra I was out of pocket and said all I was charging him, was the deposit. He said h'd take me to VCAT

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/14/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

do you have any written agreement with the room you rented ?

No.
Just the rule house rules.

ok, in this case have you writtne a formal complaint to the landlord yet

I'm the landlord

ok that is clear now.

would you like to have a talk by phone and I will clear the matter up quickly for you

I have send you a special offer if you prefer ?

I sent an email to his father to tell him I didn't condone his son's behaviour, told him I wanted him to contact his son, who was not answering my phone calls, told his father I would call the police if he didn't vacate and told his father I was ready to send him pictures of the damage. His father was unconcerned and told me to keep his son for another 4 days. I refused. In the meantime, I got hold of the son, showed him the damage, which he admitted to. I told him I'd be keeping his deposit, which he agreed to, knowing the extent of the damage he caused, The father called me three days later, demanding receipts for cleaning and loss of rent. I was in bed with a chest infection and told him I''d contact him when I was better. I sent him an e-mail telling him the total cost of the damages, which were far in excess of the deposit he paid; but told him all I wanted was the deposit as compensation. The father wasn't happy. I told him I had offered for him to come and take a look at the damages, offered to send him pictures, but he totally ignored me and told me to keep his drug addict son and his girlfriend (who was not renting the room) in my house and say nothing. He demanded receipts for damages or he'd go to VCAT. He had every opportunity to access the damage he had my mobile number. knew where I live and I even asked him ti come over, told him I'd send him pictures, I said and did everything possible to get him to come and have a look at the damage; but he refused; instead insisting I keep his son and girlfriend. Even on the day I told him I was turning his son out; he did nothing to come and have a look at the damage and claims I'm lying about his son taking drugs. I have the proof; what more does he want? I told him pleading ignorance is no excuse; he didn't bother to come or accept pitures

offer proposed for you

I'm accepting your $7 offer. I apologise I didn't give you my number. It's(###) ###-####

calling you now