Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is this a paid per question service? Nsw. Avo filed

Customer Question
Hi, is this a...

Hi, is this a paid per question service?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Avo filed yesterday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if I can place the avo on a partner without him being charged and having a criminal record, and if I need to apply for sole custody of our 3 year old

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/13/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

If there has been violence alleged then the police may charge him.

If there has been no violence and it is just you feel harassed and intimidated the police will not get involved and you will have to go to the court and take out a private one.

Here is some information on how to apply

http://www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au/Pages/representing/lawassist_avo/lawassist_gettingavo_home/lawassist_applying_avo/lawassist_applying_avo.aspx

You cannot just make it up to get custody. If you do this the courts will not grant it. Also it is an abuse of process.

In relation to childrens matters

You should contact your closest family relationship centre. This is a free service provided by the Federal Government. Their website is

http://www.familyrelationships.gov.au

You can find your closest one on there.

The web-site also have alot of useful information and links to assist you.

Before going to court you must obtain a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. You get this through the free service provided at the family relationship centres.

If you need to go to court then you will need to file an application in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court

http://www.familycourt.gov.au and http://www.federalcircuitcourt.gov.au

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards