Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Morning, i was recently in Bali and a nsw schoolie who had…

Customer Question
Morning, i was recently...

Morning, i was recently in Bali and a nsw schoolie who had never riden a motorbike and no licence smashed into a bike then me on footpath then pushed me partbunder parked van and he damaged van. I had injuries head to toe. When finally allowed back to australia i had internal bleed. I could have had the kid jailed butni decided that is a big call, like 8 months before a trial then expect sentence. Very costly for parents as well as all the emotional. I cant work for about 2 to 3 months. Is there any chance i can hit this kid for compensation here in Australia? Any suggestions most appreciated Cecily

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

In Bali have police reports and medical plus medical here in nsw as was in hospital.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Kid 18 no licence, never ridden motorbike, stated thought accelerator was brake, didnt come to see me post injuries, i have his phone number but wont answer or answer messages, has shut down his facebook. Lives central coast, i know the school was from. My insurance paying everthing but say not loss of wages until off 30 days. Thanks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/12/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

Do you have the details of the child and where they live in Australia and also do you have a police report of the incident and reports from the hospital in Bali?

Also did you have travel insurance and have you claimed?

If you wish to discuss this on the phone you can elect a call and I will contact you.

his name is***** lives central coast, went to Brisbane Waters College Woy Woy, Harry,s mobile is(###) ###-#### Yes have copies of medical reports both Bali and Australia, have Bali police report, yes i had travel insurance, they have paid most bills, i just have to send them first lot of accounts and pharmacy accounts, plus they will reimburse me hotels as i wouldnt have stayed where i did had i not been injured. Thanks Cecily. I am a nurse and know how lucky i am not to have died, lose my lower leg, Drs cant believe both legs werent broken as i am 63, have burns breast and leg, have photos, unrecognisable face as face was a mess, going dentist today as probs teeth, nerve damage leg/foot, still on crutches. Nearly had to stay Bali as blood test was positive to clots and was risk to fly.
No dont want to talk right now as too tearful, on pain killers causing me to feel a bit not clear in the head.

I will reply in a minute

I am just looking at your question in detail

Good Morning

You can sue the child for the negligence but if he did not have travel insurance and has no money it will be a hollow victory.

His travel insurance would cover you completely

Do you have any report giving you a prognosis as to how long you will be incapacitated and if there is anything that will be permanent?

Thanks, ***** ***** had insurance but expect not covered for being on a bike, but would that still cover me? Expect he doesnt have money as just left year 12. No ,wont know how long injuries will last, unsure if nerve damage will repair fully, will be a waiting game. When i got home had internal bleed, went to theatre, showed two small NEW ulcers, Dr called them stress ulcers, says can happen when serious stress like i had. Never ulcers before. So lucky didnt have bleed on plane. I am a prison nurse i make big dollars, also do two nights a week in another job plus clinical teacher for university, cant see how survive on centrelink. Plus one daughter still to support. Stress wasvincreased as two years ago both fathers of my kids died 3 days apart. While in Bali we were to have celebration for my daughters 35th birthday, she passed away many years ago. Insurance thought i handled the accident too well, but i nursed Bali bomb victims and having seen what my daughter suffered i just layed on that road thinking of what it must have been like fir them, it gave me strength. I told myself yo toughen up princess and got thru. Problem at start they didnt call ambulance, carrued me four doors to clinic! I had brain scans, leg doppler, blood flow wasnt perfect. Hey, i am alive, was hard to see my kids faces they were all distraught, as a mother that was very hard for me as they have had too much of late. Regards cecily.
I did a lot of media on my daughter, so journalist have picjed up on my awful holiday and we are going to do TV, paper and magazine to warn of the dangers. I use to be a school nurse and one of my ex students hit a balinese women while on a bike, he was jailed. His story was huge in australia. Thus happening to me will rock him. At present with Harry not contacting me i feel i wish i had of jailed him. Also, awful, but police said if i gave them money they would bash him and he wouldnt be able to walk on a plane. OMG, one of my boys lives in Bali and him and mates wanted to guve him a biff or two, but i calmed them down.
Hey i could call, feeling clearer!

I have offered you a call. Please accept and provide me with your number and I will call you.

Will call you in a few minutes

You need to accept the offer of a call or I cannot call you.

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor