Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My husband had an insurance policy with CGU. He died in a…

Customer Question
My husband had an...

My husband had an insurance policy with CGU. He died in a farm accident. I am wondering why to receive any compensation we need to go through the court system?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes - we filled in the initial paper work

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want understand why this needs to go to court

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/12/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

where you husband has past, and there is an insurance policy under CGU he benefit should be paid out directly to the beneficiary unless there was no person named, or there was a claim of fraud in the application.

can you please explain further detail about your situation.

I would be pleased to talk with you by telephone as well if you prefer ?

we filled in the initial paperwork and submitted it - we were then sent a letter to say that a solicitor had been engaged to handle the case and requesting the name of of the legal firm that would be representing us. My solicitor advised that it could be a very costly exercise with no certainty of any compensation. I am left to wonder what the point of the policy was

would you like to talk on the telephone so I can discuss this important matter with you further ?