Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a PT course contract with onfit trainin college. I've…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a PT course contract with onfit trainin college. I've paid half but are unable to complete te course due to injury. Is there a way to get out of it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

QLD

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/12/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

No call. Thanks

Good Afternoon

What does the course contract say about you terminating before the end?

You are bound by the contract and its terms.

If you wish I can have a look at it but need you to email it to me.

the email address is***@******.*** and mark it to my attention.

Generally you will not be able to terminate unless the contract allows it. You can discuss it with the college and if both of you agree to terminate and you get some money back the contract can be amended that way.

Alternatively you can discuss it with the college and see if they will allow you to continue when you are able to after the injury has healed.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

I want a way to get out of the contract. Not to get a refund. Just to not pay anymore, regardless of what the contract said.
That was just a cut and paste answer. Not worth $80

Good Afternoon

The contract you have sent me has no terms and conditions

Also you have made it public.

How long is the course for and have you paid the full fees?

I have paid half the fees. The course is ) months long
6 months

What you have sent me makes no mention of termination and it appears the terms and conditions are set out in the student handbook.

As I mentioned earlier you have to speak to the college and get an agreement with them.

You will need to provide them with medical evidence of the injury confirming you cannot complete.

If there is nothing in the handbook allowing you to terminate and it is only the college that has the rights and they demand full payment, which you have agreed to according to what you have sent, you may have an action for unfair contract terms.

You would take them to QCAT and seek the contract be terminated for being unfair and you not have to pay anymore.

Also part 10 on page 4 says withdrawals are not possible after orientation.

Look at the student handbook and if that says the same thing then you have to go to court.

Regards

Ok thanks

Good Afternoon

You are welcome

Please do not forget to rate my work 5 stars so I can be paid.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor