Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I'm looking into getting a will done up for my mum. She has…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm looking into...

Hi, I'm looking into getting a will done up for my mum. She has recently been diagnosed with cancer and she has been separated from my father for about 4-5 years. He walked out on her. They have two houses together. He lives in one and Mum lives in the other. I'm wanting to know what will happen to the house we live in.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this stage

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/12/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

I would be pleased to assist you in this important matter.

would you like to talk on the telephone ?

I'm happy to talk here if that's ok

yes you are welcome too.

what aspects about the will do you need to know ?

I just need to know if my mum is wanting to give her part of the house to her children will we get it if she puts that in the will or will it go to my father
They are married but have been separated for 4 years as he walked out

this will be subject to the title of the property

if the title is joint tenants the house will go to the father

if the title is tenants in common, your mother can will that part to the children.

I have extended a special offer to talk in detail on the phone if you prefer ?

The house originally was bought by my mother, father, grandmother and grandfather (mum's parents). They have both passed away. The house is still in mum, dad and grandmother's name as that is what the bank decided to do as it was easier and the cheapest option. But if mum decides to make a will and the will states she would like to give her share to her three children. If she then passes away her share will then be passed on to the children and dad will have he's share. is that correct?

have you seen a copy of the title to the property

or have you recently done a title search ?

what does the title say, or better still can you upload it ?

I don't have it on the computer. But the title says. Mr and Mrs Henderson on our house it then has grandmother's name

ok. this means there are three people on title.

the question you need to find out, is what words are being said:

tenants in common or joint tenants.

this will then tell you the out come of the matter.

did I answer your question today ?

not really still very confused. But thanks anyway

how about we talk on the phone.

I will be able to clarify the details for you.