Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I hope so. A few years back a large amount of money was

Customer Question
I hope so...

I hope so . A few years back a large amount of money was charged to our credit card without our authorisation. The amount was around AUST $20,000. The person who was a publisher based in Belgium. We had previously purchased something from him so that is the reason he had our details. When we realized and made contact he claimed it was a mistake and that the money would be returned . This went on for nearly a year when we realized he had no intention despite admitting he had taken the money without permission , or order etc. after a year I contacted our bank, The National Australia bank and they said it had gone on for too long so they weren't liable . I accepted that but with dealing with another bank they said that wasn't true . The National bank let the large transaction go through without checking if we had made a transaction. This is in contrast to my other bank the ANZ who always will check if something seems odd, like a $20,000 transaction overseas when we are in Australia. Can you please clarify if this is correct or otherwise?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

In Victoria and roughly 3-4 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes we reported to police in Belgium and to a lawyer in Belgium who has taken legal action. He was found to be guilty and ordered to pay some months back . A payment schedule was agreed to but after that date passed 2 months ago and having not received any payment we doubt we ever will. so I'm wondering if we can claim it back on the National on the basis they should have informed us at the time and that when I did inquire I was given wrong? information

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

you will be able to raise, and it will involve proceedings in the Supreme Court.

is this something that you would like to consider ?