Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My brother has been in prison since the 28/08/2015 and his…

Customer Question
My brother has been in...
My brother has been in prison since the 28/08/2015 and his case has not been to trial I beleive the case is still open it in in North Queensland can you tel me how long the case can be kepted open he has had several charges payed but some remain open .
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/11/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

cases will remain open indefinitely until heard by the court this could result in a number of months.

John he has been in prison since the 28/08/15 that 2 years and 4 months

does he have any lawyers acting for him at the moment ?

No he is seeking legal aide

once legal aid is appointed, there may be an argument to raise on the basis of human rights of being locked up without just cause for that period of time.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.

We are not in a position to act on his behalf his Japanese wife has the power of attorney and does not corespond with us but we are concerned as we are family.

ok understand.

what charges were laid against him ?

We do not know the actual charges but we're told that there was around 60 charges ranging from
breaking entry
We beleive about 4x Rape charges
And pepping Tom charges dating back to 2008
All we know is that currently he has no legal representation and we beleive he may not be eligibility for legal aide as he and his wife have a property in Cairns Nth Queensland

ok, in this case would you like to discuss in detail by telephone the options ?

ok, just select the telephone offer.

OK

ok waiting

The except button does not seem to be working

you need to put a valid credit card into the system

try this.

I am not getting a response from the accept offer button nor is a credit card option coming up

ok

you can enter your card details in your account area on the website.

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor