Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I worked as contractor at a University through. Recruitment…

Customer Question
I worked as contractor...

I worked as contractor at a University through. Recruitment agency. My contract was for six month and have been extended for 3 times. My last contarct expired 13 October 2017 and was extended for another six months. Suddenly i was terminated last week advising me on Wednesday that my last day was Friday. They have only given two days advise to terminate my contract. The termination was not because of my performance. I was told that the management have realised that i have been in contract for a while now so they have to terminate my contrract and replaced me with someone who is working there permanently.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is in Victoria.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time. I work 35 hours per week. Prior to my termnation i remember telling my supervisor that i am having problem with the office arrangement as i can smell the smoke coming from a colleague. Then she said that she talked with the administrator to solve the problem. But instead i was terminated.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Also, i am not sure if i have been discriminated because of my age. My supervisor does not have problem with my performance. Instead of placing me on a permanent basis they decided to get someone who is much younrger than i am. I am 69 now turning 70 in March.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/11/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

you may have a claim of discrimination/wrongful termination subject to the termination clause of your employment agreement.

What does your term clause in your employment agreement say?