Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Thankyou. Just a query. Are casual workers entitled of any…

Customer Question
Thankyou. Just a query...

Thankyou. Just a query. Are casual workers entitled of any sort of long service payments after 20 years?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not in regards ***** ***** query that I know

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thankyou

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/11/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

Yes they are.

Here is the information followed by the link it came from.

Casual and regular part-time employees

The qualifying period for long service leave entitlements for casual or regular part-time employees is the same as that for full-time employees (i.e. leave is due after 10 years’ continuous service).

As long service leave entitlements are based on continuous service it is important that complete and accurate time and wages records are kept by the employer.

An employer is required to keep a record of the total number of ordinary hours worked by each casual employee from the start of the employee’s service worked out to and including 30 June each year.

It is recommended that a similar record is also kept for part-time employees.

The entitlement to long service leave is calculated as the number of ordinary hours for the complete period of employment divided by 52, multiplied by 8.6667, then divided by 10, as shown below:

https://www.business.qld.gov.au/running-business/employing/employee-rights/long-service-leave/entitlements

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards