Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We had our car stolen and completely trashed (which is not…

Customer Question
We had our car...

We had our car stolen and completely trashed (which is not uncommon for where we live). We have had to provide all our fina

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Good morning. I started a chat last night but got side tracked. OUr situation is that we had our car stolen and completely trashed. We've had to provide all our personal financial details and now because we can't locate our other key - neither of us have seen it for ages, I've been told I have to provide the names and contact details of the people I was at the beach with on the day the car was stolen. You see I was at the beach, had too much to drink so left my car there around 2pm and didn't go to pick it up until the following morning. I am starting to get the feeling that I'm being investigated - not the theft of my car and I don't like it. I live in Broome WA and this kind of thing, cars being stolen, is a daily occurence.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes we reported it stolen to the police as soon as we realised it had been stolen.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/8/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Thanks

have you prepared summary of events in a chronological order yet ?

I have extended a special offer to talk to you on the phone if you prefer as this may make it easier to discuss the options ?

No thanks. I have a hearing deficit so would prefer the advice in writing.

ok, no issue

we can keep chat in here as long as you like.

did you have insurance on the vehicle.

it is a normal process that when a vehicle is stolen that all parties connected to that vehicle will be investigated.

so don't think to much about this process.

just follow up with your insurance company for the claim of loss.

doe this answer your important question today ?

The summary of events are as follows:
11.30am - I drove to the beach by Broome Surf Living Saving Club and met with some friends. We had drinks and nibbles.
14.00 - I decided I'd had too much to drink so called my husband to come and get me.
14.15 - my husband arrived and we went home.
17.00 - We went to dinner at friends who live around the corner. We walked there.
22.30 - We walked home.
The following day:
09.30 - We went to collect the car and it was gone.
10.00 - We reported the car stolen to the Broome police.We have comprehensive insurance. Why would they want to speak with the people I met up with on the beach? It seems a bit strange. They are not connected to the car at all.

this is a pretty straight forward case of theft .

good job on the summary

based on your comments you have nothing to worry about, just file the insurance claim.

there will be a formal investigation, but this is normal, and your insurer will pay out to you.

you will be ok.

does this answer your important question today ?

Well I guess if you think this is normal then okay.

yes it is a normal process when there is a theft of a vehicle.

insurance fraud us common with vehicles, but your case is very clean and straight forward.

once the investigation is completed the insurance company will pay under the policy.

does this answer your question ?

We have actually already filed the claim. We have given all of our personal financial details too as they requested these. WE just get the feeling they are looking for any reason not to pay us out. We have never made a claim before either. Sounds like they presume we are acting fraudulently until we can prove otherwise. It's not a very pleasant experience. Thank you. I guess we will just have to put up with being investigated like criminals. Thanks for you time.

the feeling and experience you are having is a normal and understandable.

the insurance companies do this to all people where theft occurs.

you are doing the right, and you will be ok, and no charges will be filed against you.

would you like to discuss your concerns by telephone further ?

No. Thanks for your advice.

you are most welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.

.