Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I've a sister with mild intellectual disability. She was…

Customer Question
Hi, I've a sister...

Hi, I've a sister with mild intellectual disability. She was taken advantage by her friends for financial benefits & thus end up with a debt that she can't pay off. Most of the debts are from unpaid mobile phone bills used by her friends & credit cards & personal loans applied to pay of those bills etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

VIC, I only found out about her debts three days ago. But the unpaid bills started since last year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I've contacted the mobile services, but they said the accounts are under my sister's name. Police said it's a civil matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm in the progress of applying to appoint a administrator for her.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/7/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

from your comments you are doing he correct way.

the people that have committed an offence against your sister can have fraud charges placed against then, and sued for the debt about.

would you like to consider this option ?

Is there any other ways to dispute the debts? What are the rights of the debtors? Her only income source is from Centrelink.

yes you can bring a claim in the Magistrates Court against each person.

I recommend sending a formal complaint first.

would you like help with this ?