Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am separated from my wife and have been so for

Customer Question
I am separated from...

I am separated from my wife and have been so for approximately 5 years although we are still married. Several years ago she asked my permission to move overseas (Vietnam) as she had applied for, and been offered a job as a primary school teacher in Ho Chi Minh City. The contract was for two years. I agreed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in NSW. However since this time, she has taken another job in Phuket as the British International School as a teacher and is now refusing to tell me the address of where they live. This is obviously a concern to me. Do I have a right to know where they live? What are my access rights and how can then be enforced with one parent living with the children overseas - in this case Thailand?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

My father is a solicitor but does not specialise in family law. I don't have much money so he suggested getting advice from the Family Court. This is my first attempt at getting advice from a specialist.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Children ages 11 and 7 may be relevant. But, that aside, those are the major points. Obviously my ex and I have a very strained relationship and she does get significant benefits from her job at school including free education for the kids at a private school and subsided housing. Again, not sure if that matters but those are the points.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/6/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

do you have any parenting order in place by the court ?