Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Was just wanting some advice on potential financial,

Customer Question
Was just wanting some...

Was just wanting some advice on potential financial, emotional and mistreatment abuse of an elderly person

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It’s just been discovered that a substantial amount of money is missing from a safe

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Previous family arguments about care for my grandmother.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/6/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 6 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Evening

Do you know who took it?

What evidence do you have?

Does your grandmother have her faculties?

My grandmother is of sound mind and has been all her life,
We suspect my uncle took it whilst she was in an aged care home as he wanted access to documents in the safe, he was told to wait until she got home and do it together, he didn’t and had someone can and open the safe, she has the name of the company that opened the safe, she realised it was missing yesterday when she herself had the safe open by a different company

She has to report it to the police.

It is theft and a criminal offence.

What evidence does she have he took it? How long ago was it taken?

We suspect it was taken in feb 2017 as she was in an aged care home, only two people had access he did and she did, but neither could remember the combo, so he had it opened by a company, the envelope has written amounts on it but no money in it. He abuses his power of attorney by putting her in a home without her consent.
She only found out it wasn’t in there yesterday when she herself has it opened by a different safe opening company

Good Evening

She has to report it to the police.

This is her only option.

Also revoke the power of attorney

He does not need her consent to use the power of attorney he can do what she can with it.

But she has to give the police a statement and if she knows who opened the safe for him get them to give a statement as well.

This is her only option

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards