Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have an elderly mother that may need to move to

Customer Question
Hello, I have an...

Hello, I have an elderly mother that may need to move to residential care. My sister has been living with her and has, over the years, forfeited much to act as unofficial carer for mum. My concern is that if mum has to go into residential care, they will take the house and my sister will be left with no home. Is there anything we can do to ensure that the home remains available for my sister to live in? We would not be able to afford exorbitant weekly fees as an alternative to giving up the house. Can you pelase offer some advice?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet Pearl

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is a request for the near future - things are progressing to the stage where mum will need more care than we can give her but we're not quite there yet.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/6/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Generally your sister being the carer and living in the house will be taken into consideration when your mum is assessed by ACAT.

But there has to be funds available to be able to pay for your mums care.

Has your mum given a Power of Attorney to anyone?

Not yet - but we are looking to share PoA between the two of us
Hello, I am happy for you to contact me but I am at work presently so am not in a position to talk

Good Afternoon

I can make an offer to call you later tonight if that suits

I am logging off and will be back about 730pm

We can continue then and assist you further.
I have extended the offer of a call to you and if you accept I will call you when I get back.

Regards

Good Afternoon

I am following up my last post and seeing if there is anything else I can assist you with?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards