Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can yur ex come to your home ask to borrow something which u…

Customer Question
Can yur ex come...

Can yur ex come to your home ask to borrow something which u paid for an wont return it

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It been 15 months separated

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/5/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

There is nothing to stop them from asking to borrow something and if you give it to them they have the right to have it.

If they refuse to give it back to you then you have to sue them and get orders.

They are not allowed to keep it if the arrangement was that they return it.

You have an agreement with them and that was, that the item be returned. If they now refuse to return it then they are in breach and you have a right to seek recovery.

You can report it to the police but 99% of the time they will advise you it is a civil matter and tell you to see a solicitor.

So your option is to send a letter of demand for its return and if they refuse then take the matter to court.

In short they cannot refuse to give it back to you.

Here is a link that sets out the claims process in QLD

https://www.artslaw.com.au/images/uploads/Debt_Recovery_-_Small_Claims_Procedure_QLD1.pdf

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Good Afternoon

I am following up my last post and seeing if there is anything else I can assist you with?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards