Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am buying a property in Perth and at final inspection we…

Customer Question
Hi I am buying...

Hi I am buying a property in Perth and at final inspection we discovered that the air conditioner and alarm that were advertised with the property are not working. The property is presently rented out. We organised for a quote to repair the Air conditioner and alarm and forward them to our settlememt agent and they forwarded them on to the sellers agent. The seller has supplied a quote of there own to make good the repairs but has stated they the will only refund half of the repair quotes amount. The air condition has not been working for several months and the present tenants have informed the seller. What can I do to make the seller make good the repairs Thanks Ian

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

The sale is in Perth and will go ahead tomorrow at 2:pm

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

All quotes have been sent by email and all corisbondents has been done through my settlement agent but I can not stop the settlement under the REWIA contract T

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do I have to go to court to make good the condition of sale as per the contrart.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/5/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

if the air conditioning was in working order when your signed the contract, and they are refusing to fix the same, tell your conveyancer to issue notice to the vendor that the vendor needs to make good on the repair before settlement, noting the warranties under the contract of sale.

We have already done this but the seller only wants to pay for half of the costs to make good. They have sent this in the settlement doc
Thanks
ian

you can ask your conveyancer to send a communicate to the vendor's lawyer to hold a nominal amount on trust, allow settlement to proceed until the issue with the air-con is finalised