Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My youngest sister was left the entire estate by our

Customer Question
My youngest sister was...

My youngest sister was left the entire estate by our father,after meeting with her she asked if she could keep the money in dads bank account and divide the house equally between the four of us(2 x older sisters,one x older bother)this was agreed verbally then a draft copy drawn up and issued to each but never signed,it was given to her solicitor who informed me that all was good and to get clean out house and put on market to sell.once house had been cleaned and painted for sale contact has stopped between my youngest sister,last contact was I haven't made up my mind what to do indicating keeping the lot.CAn she do this

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

To my solicitor

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Have been told verbally by my sisters solicitor on 2 Occassion over the phone that all was good to go ahead with the house so we did.Mother/father had earlier wills made that show everything to be divided equally then our mother passed on in 1995 (will made in 1986)then a new will done in 2011 by dad after a argument at a xmas party with family

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/5/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

family disputes are common in this type of situation.

what you can do is immediately raise a family provision claim if you prefer.

have you considered this option yet ?

No

ok.

in raising a family provision claim, formal notice needs to be issued to the executor.

do you know who is the executor under the will is ?

Probate has gone through,can I stop the sale of the house if she puts it on the market,yes executor is her husband

yes you can stop it, by placing a caveat on the house, disputing the sale.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.