Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My daughter had a joint account with an x partner (which she…

Customer Question
My daughter had a...

My daughter had a joint account with an x partner (which she tried to close recently and take off the joint name on the account), the x partner withdrew all the monies last Friday in person at the bank . As the bank allowed the withdrawal without my d's knowledge, how is that possible. My d is the only contributor to the account

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

My d is trying to contact a lawyer- she works off shore. She's tried to contact and recover the monies but not successful. She will contact the police and immigration as the x is a Spanish national.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What's her step by step process in this situation please

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/5/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

That's fine

Good Morning

Was the account open so that each of them can withdraw without the others signature?

Im talking to my d, sorry she rang from the off shore site
ok, what is the 1st step?

Good Morning

If the account allowed both of them to withdraw then she cannot blame the bank for what they did.

Did they have any assets and how long were they together?

I have offered you the option of a call to discuss this is detail. It is an extra fee but it will make it easier to explain.