Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a complaint in with the TIO re my Telstra account. I…

Customer Question
I have a complaint...

I have a complaint in with the TIO re my Telstra account. I cannot provide the ref number as Telstra HAVE disconnected my service and refuse to re-establish it as they have also escalated it themselves, what do I do now. My name is*****'Brien.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

ACT

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I have a letter from the TIO advising a date for Telstra to settle, they did not, they refused to compensate me or clear the data charges. That date was the 25 November.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just spoke to Chris at Telstra (D858921) he advised the service would not be reconnected.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/4/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Hi John,
My name is*****'Brien, I live in the ACT. For the past 4 years I have been refused extra Telstra Services other than basic services based on a bad credit rating they have on their system. I have on numerous occasions advised them that the account was settled in 2013. Recently after knocking me back again, I managed to get a letter from them saying "apologies our mistake, we found your payment details" HOWEVER we will not give you the phone you requested until you pay your current account. The current accound is $11,129 (I think) and 90% of that is excess date when our internet wasnt working (and they finally admitted that that was also their fault). I lodged a complaint with the TIO, and was given a Ref Number and a final date for Telstra to finalise things. They did not! They offered to waiver $650 but thats all. No compensation for the 4 years of anxiety, frustration and humilitation, they said they only compensate business for loss of business. This AM, they barred my account and disconnected my service. I spoke with Chris (D858921) and he advised there was nothing he could do.
Dont worry John, appears that account is overdrawn anyway.
Thanks.
Kerin

I see you would like to have a telephone call.

to do this please enter a valid credit card number into the system and I can extend and we can talk by phone if you refer.

or we can keep chatting this way.

Its a long frustrating exercise. I dont get paid again till next Wednesday, I'll just have to let it go. Another victory for Big Business.
Kerin

there is always help

please tell me more about your issue in this chat.

There isnt much more I can tell you, its frustrating, Telstra are bullies and I am a very very small fish in a big big pond. They will get away with it. They didnt provide a service, I had to use extra date on my phone. They refused to waiver the date and provide me with a new phone. They demanded the full amount of $1,000 odd. End of story. I can afford to pay you right now and I thought this was being handled by the TIO but its been referred off to you.
Kerin
Sorry that is #cant..............

the next step is to send a formal request to the dispute resolution department.

you will need to draft the facts into a chronological order/

are you able to do this ?

To be honest mate..............I dont have the energy or the temprament today.
Kerin

understand.

if you like we can discuss by telephone this situation if you prefer when you are ready too.

Thanks.
Kerin

You are most welcome.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.

John Melis, Lawyer