Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My godson is 91/2 years old and has lived with me for the…

Customer Question
Hi, my godson is...

Hi, my godson is 91/2 years old and has lived with me for the past4years and 8 months plus prior to that lived with us for another nine months. I don't have guardian ship of him and his mother has now decided she wants hi

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Sorry, she wants him back. She hasn't seen him for 18 months. He doesn't want to go and I was wanting to find out if we would have any legal standing to stop it happening.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, it has only just happened

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/4/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

Are there any court orders with the parents

No there isn't

Good Morning

You have to go to mediation and then court if they do not agree.

You should contact your closest family relationship centre. This is a free service provided by the Federal Government. Their website is

http://www.familyrelationships.gov.au

You can find your closest one on there.

The web-site also have alot of useful information and links to assist you.

Before going to court you must obtain a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. You get this through the free service provided at the family relationship centres.

If you need to go to court then you will need to file an application in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court

http://www.familycourt.gov.au and http://www.federalcircuitcourt.gov.au

You may have to get a solicitor to run this for you.

But you may also be able to get legal aid.

This will give you residency and the right to make decisions.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards