Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We have a standing dispute with our landline and internet…

Customer Question
We have a long...

We have a long standing dispute with our landline and internet provider. I have a disability and my carer who lives here has been in severe pain and so has not made appropriate complaints to satisfactorily amend the technical aspects. Calls to Optus have always been complicated and time wasting. I have finally asked her whether I could talk to an ombudsman myself about our problem. She will give her permission so as to convey the necessary materials/info. Currently, we have not the capability to ring out using landline. Our number is(###) ###-####. We have three lines/phones if this is utilised. Others apparently can ring us without problems.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Murray Bridge SA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. Several calls have been made to Optus at various levels including in -store.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a document (handwritten to provide)

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/4/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

Do you have this all documented?

I have a handwritten letter by my carer. I have not read it but believe I can add extra material. As I have noted we cannot ring out but receive messages. We also have three phones so both of us can talk if required.
I didnt think we had to pay anything for this service??????!! Everyone is on a pension.
I notice above it is a 7 day free trial.

Good Afternoon

The complaints that have been made have you documented them?

The letter from your carer does it detail all the issues and communications?

This is not a free service and when you asked the question you offered to pay a fee.

This is the first time I have had to pay to deal with an ombudsman. This issue is blatently their fault. They have disconnected at least once about 4 months ago for No reason. They said afterwards we hadn'y paid on time which was incorrect. when it was re-enstated the landline only accepted in calls. We were adbviced a new moden whould be best to settle the issue but it never came. An Optus person actually rang us to ask if we had received it but it hadnt and then we were told he would get this sorted. Still no new modem. we also had big problems with the tv reception and the fast broadband has always been hopeless.

You are not connected to the ombudsman

The ombudsmans website is https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

You can lodge a complaint with them if you do not wish to continue here.

I am happy to assist but it is not a free service.

Can I contact the Ombudsman direct and have the issue dealt with. If we changed to another provider would we have to pay a fee?

I have extended an offer to assist you by phone. If you wish to accept please provide me with your number and I can call you.

It will be alot easier to discuss your options

If I opt for 'call me' is the cost past on to Optus? They are obviously at fault. My carer is in charge of payments. At least three times now she has NOT been well enough to seek requests for help/complain. Very frustrating for me. I have Aspergers Syndrome.

No we do not pass on the costs to optus

I am a solicitor.

I understand financial constraints.

You can contact the ombudsman and lodge a complaint with them and I can give you a refund.

Here is there website again.

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

Leon, Solicitor