Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I hired a vehicle from Avis via a third party in March 2016,

Customer Question
I hired a vehicle...

I hired a vehicle from Avis via a third party in March 2016, in September last year I was asked to provide proof of payment to rentalcars.com. I sent this proof of payment and received no contact until last week when a credit recovery agency acting on behalf of Avis contacted me demanding payment or they would black mark my credit history and take me to court for the funds in question. I provided them with the same information which they have chosen to refuse to accept and are threatening to continue with the legal action. What options do I have to head off this harassment? Regards Karl

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Victoria is where I live but the vehicle was rented from Townsville Queensland via Avis which has its head office in New Zealand the car was a rental and has been returned

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

What manufacturer the car is a rental I hired it whilst in Townsville

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that is all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/4/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

your matter is very important.

do you still have the paperwork (agreement -wrap) from the third party provider of the service ?

The service was provided via the Internet as the third party provider is based in the UK

in the agreement how did they refer to the services within Australia when they are booked ?

A rental through the third party being Avis

In this particular case you will need to bring a third party claim against that agent.

I have extended a special offer to talk on the telephone if you prefer ?

If I have paid rentalcars.com and they hired me a vehicle via Avis. Surely it is Avis who needs to harass rental cars.com for any outstanding payments not me!

this where the difficulty of cross border transactions occur.

May I talk with you by telephone to discuss in detail. I have extended a special offer you if you prefer ?

ECC the credit company have finally agreed to put the dispute on hold whilst hey investigate and discuss the payment I made to RentCars.com

this very good news.

you should confirm this back to them in writing now

have I answered your questions ?

Will do thank you

If you have any further questions, I would be pleased to answer those for you.

Please don’t forget to leave positive feed back by supporting for 5 stars as it allows me to support your questions.