Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My husband has just passed away and I see on the bank

Customer Question
My husband has just...

My husband has just passed away and I see on the bank statement he had a direct debit going out regularly TO LIFE DEBIT ......funeral insurance .... with a policy number. I do not have any other paperwork from the company and I am unable to find a contact phone number to contact them. How do I check if this is fraudulent or do they really exist ..How can I contact them ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet, I am trying to contact them to lodge a claim for his funeral expenses

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have the policy number or the reference number beside each debit payment on the statement.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/4/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

what you can do is to contact the bank, explain the circumstance about the transaction details, and they will be able to tell you which merchant (company) is the part receiving the funds.

sometimes the name of the statement as you see, will not be the full merchant name, which the bank can then tell you the further details.

Once you have this information obtaining the correct telephone number details will be just a matter of a quick search on google.

does this answer your important question today ?

No. I googled LIFE DEBIT FUNERAL INSURANCE BUT THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBER GIVEN EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A SITE FOR THEM I also tried the telephone directory.

You need to contact bank first.

Then ask the bank for the full merchant name of the company that is direct debiting the account.

The name you are searching, LIFE DEBIT FUNERAL INSURANCE, is general. The bank will be able to tell you who is actually getting the funds when they look into the actual transfer.

The name LIFE DEBIT FUNERAL INSURANCE is a reference name only, not the company name

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.