Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a phone from Buymobile. It has never worked.

Customer Question
I bought a phone...

I bought a phone from Buymobile. It has never worked. Samsung have given me a statement that it is counterfeit. I am 80 years old. Have already llost $620.91 and $12.55 to send back for repair, which didn't work. I have been through Consumer Affairs. Buymobile have not responded to them and Consumer Affairs advise me to contact you. I am on a pension and cannot afford to lose more money. I do not have a landline and need a mobile that is not counterfeit and which works. What should I do next.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Victoria. I have only been through Consumer Affairs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes, before I contacted Consumer Affairs. This has been ongoing since mid-September. Buymobile says phone works at their end. I have friends and family who can confirm that it does not work.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I cannot afford to lose more money. As Samsung have given me a hard copy statement that the phone is counterfeit I feel that should be enough to make Buymobile refund my money. Should I contact Samsung main company?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/3/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

How long ago did you buy it?

Did you take it back to the shop that sold it to you and ask for a replacement?

You mention a counterfeit statement have you reported this to the police?

As you have been through consumer affairs and they have done nothing your next step is to lodge a complaint with VCAT fro a refund of your money plus interest.

If the company has led you to believe that it is a real phone and it is fake then you have a claim.

Here is the link for VCAT

https://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/get-started/goods-and-services

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards