Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

How much notice do I need to give people living in my home…

Customer Question
How much notice do...

How much notice do I need to give people living in my home who have BERN paying a small share if bills? i gave them a temporary home when they were homeless back in February and now want to sell.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Font th8nk do dont think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/3/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

if they are only visitors you can tell them to leave immediately.

if they are tenants on a weekly basis you need to provide then notice in accordance with the residential tenancy Act.

how long has the person been living there for ?

They are not visitors.
They were neighbours, and were living in their car.i asked if they’d like to stay for a while.
They have been here since February 2017
They are paying a share of bills, around $180 per week. The rentals here are about $700 per week, a room about $250 - $300pw.
If I want them out sooner than any notice period, Can I pay compensation?
My father, next door, says they can live with him until Feb. without paying anything. They have already moved items to his place.

the residential tenancy laws will apply and notice under the tenancy act will need to be given to the people to vacate.

the following link will provide you the timelines that need to be complied with: https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Forms-and-publications/Forms/Forms-for-general-tenancies/Notice-to-leave-Form-12

does this answer your important question today ?

Reading info from the rta website, these people could be lodgers therefore require reasonable notice. That could mean 7 days notice, as they (sometimes) pay weekly.
They have not paid this week. There is no bond.
If they agree to move in with my father, does that remove the need for me give notice?
Can I pay compensation in lieu of notice?As they have not paid, can that be a breach and therefore asked to leave? How much notice does this mean I have to give them.

yes you are right with your review.

i you compensate the tenant in lieu this needs to be done careful to avoid breaches of the legislation.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.