Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Does the new sa retirement village act override existing…

Customer Question
Does the new sa...

Does the new sa retirement village act override existing contracts

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

South Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

A new retirement Village Act has just been enacted in South Australia and some retirement villages are attempting to force changes to existing contracts even though the existing contact clauses are more acceptable to some residents

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/3/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

existing contracts will stand, and will be subject to the new legislation.

what concerns do you have about your current contract ?

Your statement appears contradictory. If the existing contract stands then
under what regard could it be subject to the new legislation.

the law of contract will remain enforce by the courts.

however, legislation can change the way the contracts are performed.

in your case the the contract you have will need to be reviewed with the legislation together.