Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Why can't Federal MPs submit a Stat. Dec. with application,

Customer Question
Why can't Federal MPs submit...
Why can't Federal MPs submit a Stat. Dec. with application, declaring Australian Citizenship to exclusion of any other?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/2/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

can you explain in more detail your situation ?

No. I refer you to a number of pollies in
Canberra.

ok you raise some interesting points then!

I have extended a special offer to discuss your important matter on the telephone if you prefer ?

No thankyou. I would prefer text.

ok.

so what is your next step that you would like to take with the Stat Dec ?

From my viewpoint, having renounced alien citizenship, the nominating MP, must be free from duel citizenship.

but did they actually give it, as there is no evidence shown to confirm the same at this time ?

True.
Yet our leading Legal Beagles, are talking Repherenda, ammendments to the Act, and what have you. Are they all just trying to use up available taxpayers' money?

as the society dynamics change, so to how the approach to such matters occur. Each generation will deal with the issues in a particular way at that certain time.

True.
But we are specifically ONE generation! I want to know why, if a Stat. Dec can resolve this problem, why are they talking drastic, clumbsy and expensive procedures?

it is fairly straight, everyone has a different opinion.

My question still remains: Would a suitably worded Stat. Dec. at time of nomination, satisfy Section 41 of rhe constitution?

no, as it would need to be argued in the Federal Court.