Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

The state of Queensland. We have an active 'support ticket'

Customer Question
The state of Queensland ...

The state of Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have an active 'support ticket' with 'Baby Shop Support Help Desk'

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It's a metter of misleading advertisment with regards ***** ***** Safety 1st Prime AP Convertible Booster Seat - claiming safety sureties for infants from 6months old

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/2/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

If you wish to discuss it on the phone there is an extra fee but it may be easier. Just elect a call and I will call you.

They are not allowed to mislead and deceive and you have a right to get your money back.

If they refuse you can take them to QCAT and seek orders against them

The following link is the law as it stands and it is enforced by QCAT in QLD.

https://www.accc.gov.au/publications/advertising-selling/advertising-and-selling-guide/avoid-misleading-or-deceptive-claims-or-conduct/misleading-or-deceptive-conduct

You have to send them a letter setting out the issues and request a refund.

If they refuse then you can take them to court.

If there has been any damage caused then you can sue for compensation if it is because of the misleading conduct.

This type of behaviour is looked down upon and the laws protect consumers.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

We recently purchased a Safety 1st Prime AP Convertible Booster Seat which advertises "... an integrated head rest has 5 positions for height adjustment so that it grows with your child..." claiming safety for infants from 6 moths old to child of approximately 8 years old. However, the booster seat side impact protection does not lower to the lowest shoulder height. This leaves the babies from 6 months old to ~2 years at risk. This seat should not be advertised for children as young as 6 months. It's simply not safe! We have requested a refund of store credit for purchase of an age appropriate product, to be met with obstinance and indifference. I have copies of all correspondences [Case Tracking ID: VLG-7R2-86PW].

If they have advertised it as lowering to that point you are entitled to get your money back.

It is not fit for the purpose and they have mislead you.

You can also report it to Fair Trading in QLD and they will investigate and take it off the market.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/fair-trading

Also take it further and report it to the ACCC being the link i sent you earlier.

If the item is not safe and in fact dangerous it will be recalled once the departments get involved.

Once you get your money back then make a detailed report to the Fair Trading and the ACCC

I hope this makes sense and is clearer.

The vendor in question: "Bubs n Grubs" Address: 4/229 Junction Rd, Cannon Hill QLD 4170; Phone: (07) 3902 1350
The product in question: http://www.bubsngrubs.com.au/safety-1st-prime-ap-convertible-booster-seat.html

Have you obtained a refund?

You have to put together all the information you have and report it to the ACCC

Here is the link

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/contact-us/for-consumers/report-an-unsafe-product

But you make sure you give them as much information as possible.

Regards

Good Evening

I hope the information I have given you has assisted you today.

If there is anything further please do not hesitate to contact me and ask further questions.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor