Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We have a tennant and a family member needs to move into the…

Customer Question
We have a tennant...

We have a tennant and a family member needs to move into the apartment due to her not feeling safe where she currently lives The tennant has onloy a month to month tennacy

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

How much notice does the tennat have or do we need to give the tennant

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NSW

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/1/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Evening

In order to get them out for no reason you have to give them 90 days notice.

Here is a link that sets out the law. If the tenant has not paid rent for 14 days then only 14 days notice has to be given.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/biz_res/ftweb/pdfs/Tenants_and_home_owners/Ending_a_tenancy_information_for_landlords.pdf

If they do not leave at the end of the 90 days then you have to take them to NCAT and get an eviction order.

If the tenant agrees to leave earlier that is fine. But you have to give them 90 days notice if there is no issue with the payment of rent.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards