Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My 13 and a half year old son was pick up in a store for…

Customer Question
My 13 and a...

My 13 and a half year old son was pick up in a store for shiplifting today and the police are going to interview him in the next few days and give him a caution in my presence. Is there anythig should do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

This afternoon in JB HIFi

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I wasn't there the police officer rang and told me.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/1/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

the most important is confirm with the police if there was any evidence that shows your son actually did the theft.

there are always records kept of any incident, and it is important even if it is just a caution that any allegation is shown to be correct.

your son does have legal rights.

does this answer your important question today ?

should i ask to pay a fine instead so that it isn't recorded?
i would prefer email chat

no conviction will be recorded, but there is always a digital record of the cautioning in the police database.

this you cannot change unless there is insufficient evidence to prove the offence.

OK i knew all of that already...anything else?

from a legal point the aforementioned is all that can be done for now.

Does this answer your important questions today ?

I believe there is sufficent evidence and he admited it ...do police have discresion not to issue a caution?

You should not voluntarily pay the fine.

your should ask the shop keeper to prove the offence.

what if my son admitted it?

then in this case you may raise the question, he was forced to admit, due to undress by the shopkeeper on the basis that shop keeper put him into a state fear.

thanks that is all for now i will get some more information from my son.
Thx

ok.

did i answer your important questions today ?

abit
bye

If you accept the phone offer special in this post you can call me when you need. This is a special offer for this forum to speak to a solicitor un-timed to assist you as you need.

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor