Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My ex partner placed a DVO on me with no evidence and I

Customer Question
Hi My ex partner...

Hi My ex partner placed a DVO on me with no evidence and I could not get the day of work as it took the police 8 days to serve me, so I only had one days notice. The order has been placed in my maiden name, which has not been my legal name for over 6 years. Does this still affect me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

QLD

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/1/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

a DVO will affect you in several ways.

the most important aspect is that you can raise a defense to the order at the hearing, and if the hearing has occurred in your absence you can seek a rehearing on the same.

has the hearing occurred yet ?

it has. It took the police 8 days to serve me although I spoke with them on the phone on day 2 and advised them that I was home every night from 4:30pm and all weekend.
Once they served me, I only had 2 days notice to attend court, and with that short notice, I could not take leave from my work. So I did not attend and it went through. This was now 9 days ago and the police still have not given me the new order. As mentioned, it is in my maiden name though which has not been my legal name for over 6 years. Does it still affect me if it is in an incorrect name?

even though your name is ***** ***** the order will still apply.

you can seek leave tp have the court decision reviewed.

would you like to consider this option ?

I feel I was not treated properly by the police by taking so long to serve me. 8 days is ridiculous considering they are 2 blocks from my house. I had no option or support.

ok.

would you like to talk on the telephone about this important matter.

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone to assist you if you prefer ?