Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My mother would like to gift some money to my sister and…

Customer Question
Hello, My mother would...

Hello, My mother would like to gift some money to my sister and myself. she has about $150,000 in the bank and receives the old age pension.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

We are in WA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure, I will answer questions as they come up

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/1/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

does your mother wish to gift through a will ?

She wishes to gift before she passes if that makes sense
I don't wish to call

yes it does.

your mother can do this, it is best to do this through a deed, to avoid any later back claims occurring.

what amounts can she gift, she has her own unit in a retirement village as well as $150,000 in the bank
her unit is worth about $300,000

she can gift to what level she requires.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.

no thanks, ***** ***** wanted a few easy questions answered before I see a solicitor here

I am solicitor and can talk you through the issue on how to address your important matter which will be more cost effective for you,

I didn't realise this is a paid site, I was under the impression it was free, thanks anyway

would you like help with drafting the requirements of the deed ?

No thank you, ***** ***** be fair to explain in plain English that this site costs X amount to people that are unaware
I wish to request a refund

I can have extended a special offer to talk on the telephone which will be much more cost effective than visiting a lawyer in their office.
i recommend that you consider as you will receive good advice.