Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My enquirer is in relation to my husbands citizenship

Customer Question
My enquirer is in...

My enquirer is in relation to my husbands citizenship certificate. He obtained this in 1979 when he was 21 years old,the name on the certificate was Anglisized to William Edward Duran. At the time with his limited English he did not realise that it was now his legal name therefore he has always used the name Guillermo Eduardo Duran for all legal purposes. Over the last few years we have unsuccessfully tried to have the citizenship certificate changed to reflect this. We have tried via the immigration department and the Victorian Births Deaths and Marriages and had immigration lawyer assistance. We feel we have tried every avenue open to us and as previously mentioned were unsuccessful. Is this an area you can help us with and if not could you provide information on where to go for help. Regards ***** ***** Guillermo Duran

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Sorry I do not understand the acronym used

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes we had services provided by an immigration lawyer and a detailed affidavit was sent with the last application and unfortunately we were sent a new certificate with the exact same details as the original!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It is quite a convoluted scenario as his birth certificate has his birth name as Guillermo Eduardo Duran Galdames, Galdames being his mother’s maiden name which is traditionally used in Chile but he never used in Australia.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2017
Solicitor: jludwic, Attorney replied 4 months ago
jludwic
jludwic, Attorney

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

He cannot change the name on his citizenship certificate unless he goes to court and does a legal name change back to Guillermo Eduardo Duran.

Naturalization is done through the federal court and therefore the name he used is his official legal name.

If he goes to his local court the clerk can assist him with applying for a legal change of name. Once the judge grants his name change he can then apply for a new naturalization certificate with his new (old) legal name.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

We have been to BDM with no success so is the local court option a different process?

Is this a US immigration law question

Judith

Australian
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Good Morning

I am Leon and I will be looking after your question.

I am in Sydney.

You cannot change the Citizenship certificate.

He has to have a change of name through the registry of Births dearths and marriages.

Once he received citizenship they do not change it.

It is the name he has.

With the change of name he can use that with the citizenhsip certificate to use the correct name.

The name on the certificate will always be the same. He will be using the change of name document from Victorian Births Deaths and Marriages to show the name he is using.

If you wish to discuss this on the phone you can elect a call and I will call you.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Good Evening

I hope my assistance today has shed some light on your question.

If there is anything further I can assist you with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor