Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have an interesting question... I am a resident Thailand…

Customer Question
I have an interesting...

I have an interesting question... I am a resident Thailand and and need to travel to Sydney/Adelaide for business. Im on an NZ passport and have been paying child support for the past decade with a private arrangement to my ex (typically over paying NZ IRD's requirements by 10-15%). However my ex wife has just come clean on also claiming child support from the NZ government for a good part of this period (she is Australian). She has claimed she cant find me. Its a big problem that she needs to resolve. But as it stands she has thrown me under a bus and if I report on her and she is prosecuted I doubt my kids will speak to me again... My main concern is if I enter Australia for a week and then return to Bangkok will I get stopped by Australian officials ether when entering or leaving the country?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I would be flying into either Sydney or Melbourne and traveling to Adelaide for meetings with my industrial customer... my theoretical debt would be in New Zealand but I do know there is information sharing if I was living in Australia (which I am not) as I will be only in Aus for a week

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/30/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

unless there is a warrant for your arrest you will not be stopped.

are you aware of any warrant against you ?

Thanks John. No I’m not aware of any arrest warrant. Would an arrest warrant for unpaid child support issued by New Zealand police be reported to Australian Immigration officials?

it is possible, but unlikely on the circumstances you have described.

did I answer your questions today ?

thanks John, appreciated. Have a nice day.

you are most welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.