Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My ex-partner ..tenants in common.. is forcing sale on our…

Customer Question
My ex-partner ..tenants in...

My ex-partner ..tenants in common.. is forcing sale on our home is he able to do this do I have any rights to stop this I paid the home off a few years back does this come in my at all

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Perth Western Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

He has seen a lawyer and I am told he is forcing sale

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just need to know my rights if any

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/30/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

A tenant in common under property ownership cannot force the other tenant to sell.

this can only occur where there is a Court order or as a result of financial separation proceedings .

have you commenced financial separation with your ex partner yet ?

No we separated aprox 14 years ago but lived in the same home ..he moved out around 2 months ago and has seen a lawyer who has said he is forcing sale I my self paid the home off in the amount of 80 thousand and an wondering if any of this money paid will be in my benefit or reimbursed back to me

was there any financial separation after you formally separated 14 years ago ?

no there wasnt

was a divorce ever filed in through the court ?

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.