Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My car was stolen several weeks ago and recovered last week.

Customer Question
My car was stolen...

My car was stolen several weeks ago and recovered last week. I rang yesterday an was told that it was deemed a total loss because there is $2,500 of repairs required and it has been delivered to a recovery yard. I have booked an appointment to view the vehicle on Monday next (4th December) to recover any personal effects and view the vehicle and the damage. Aren't they required to ring me to inform me and should I be able to demand the car be repaired since it is insured for $3,900. Also should I have been informed prior to the vehicle being sent to the recovery yard. Also should I have been sent photographs and a comprehensive list of personal effects in the car

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

I am in Victoria and the car is a 1994 Nissan Patrol

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I've filed a claim with APIA but they haven't kept me up to date. Any response I have had has been by my ringing them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this stage

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/30/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today

Is this the insurance ombudsmans' office??

once the car is recovered the procedure of informing the owner is subject to the policy that has been signed.

generally when a car has been recovered it remains in the possession of the police until released to the insurer and then as required the insured is informed. Pictures are not usually taken and sent to the owner, as the vehicle and its contents is owned by the insurer due to the car being a write off.

Is this the Insurance Ombudsmans' office???????????????????????????????????????????????

no. this is just answer, and you are chatting with a Solicitor in Melbourne.