Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I own a hire car that is the only source of income for my…

Customer Question
I own a hire...

I own a hire car that is the only source of income for my company. On 31st March 2017 it was given into the care of a motor mechanic, after having developed a misfire. He couldn't find the problem for over two months. I didn't,t get the car back till 23rd May 2017. I would like to be compensated for the Loss of Income my Company suffered during that 53 day period. A total of around $9000. I have written two letters to this mechanic already. I require help. I don't think my company will be compensated and this period really did cripple my Company Financially. What can be done?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

New the car is a 2015 Holden Caprice

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No with another lawyer if that's what you mean.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. Three days later that engine blow up. Broke down because of his oversight. He claimed a new engine for my car which remained in his care for a further 36days. His insurance only compensated me for that 36 day period and for the prior 53.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/30/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

you may be able to raise a claim for breach of contract.

do you have the reports on the car as to what where the issues ?

have you been able to quantify the loss yet ?