Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I run a small business, a pub. We have been struggling to…

Customer Question
I run a small...

I run a small business, a pub. We have been struggling to pay our electricity and gas bills, for the past 18 months. I have only just found out that we could have had a discount - 39% for electricity and 22% for gas.... During all conversations with them and they have never informed me of this. They wont apply any retrospective discounts I feel very ripped off. Do I have any avenue to pursue here

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I have been dealing with them directly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank yo thank you thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/29/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

When you signed up you signed up for the discount?

Had you been paying your accounts on time? This is a condition of getting the discount.

If you had been paying the accounts on time you are entitled to the discounts for them. On those accounts it should be shown what the discounts are.

You have a right to the discounts and you should collect all the past invoices and the evidence of the payments and lodge an application to get the credits with them in writing and keep a copy of what you send.

You cannot get discounts on accounts that have not been paid in full on time. Anything that is late does not accrue the discount.

But if you had paid accounts in full and on time you cannot be refused the discount because you have paid the full amount.

The discount you are entitled to should be deducted from what you owe.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards