Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My uncle passed away in March everything has been done and…

Customer Question
Hi my uncle passed...

Hi my uncle passed away in March everything has been done and the will said money to be released 23.09.17 or after. since then the lawyers handling it keep saying its with the accountant and tax department. my uncle was 91 and retired for 30+ years. is this normal nobody contested the will. they told me yesterday maybe Jan or Feb

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The lawyer is in QLD we are in NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the will and the solicitor paperwork

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What is the normal time to release the money most people i have spoken to receive their money in 6 mths and 8 mths when the will was contested

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/27/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

I am very sorry to hear about your loss

If your uncle had not completed his tax returns they have to be completed and if the estate was earning income after his passing the estate also has to do tax returns.

Usually they do not distribute just in case there is a tax bill that has to be paid.

Have they confirmed that tax returns have been completed and lodged?

Who is the executor of the estate?